Top 5 Highest Paying Digital Marketing Skills in 2017
To know about the highest paying digital marketing skills, let us first understand what is digital marketing, why is it trending and why it can prove as a good career choice.
What is Digital Marketing?
Millions of people are using the Internet daily for various purposes. Some use it to search particular information, some might use it to find a job and some might use it just for their online presence on a social media platform.
With online media skyrocketing, digital marketing has almost become mandatory for every company in any industry. Digital marketing has become quite vital to the global economy and has been the fastest growing industry till date. It is one of the most lucrative industries in the modern world.
Why Digital Marketing is Required?
Marketing has always been about connecting with your audience in the right place and at the right time. And with online marketing, reaching the target audience is quite easy as most of them are online. This shows that digital marketing is just not the new trend but one of the effective ways to reach prospective customers in less cost.
Some of the common forms of digital marketing are SEO, content marketing, social media marketing, email marketing, inbound marketing and affiliate marketing. And the most used assets for the same are a website, blog posts, social platforms, whitepapers, infographics, branding assets, and ebooks.
Why should one Build a Career in Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is very exciting, fast-moving and a creative field. As organizations invest more and more in digital marketing and online branding, there has been a huge surge in recruitment for digital marketing experts. However, demand for expertise professionals in this field is not able to meet the supply of the same. Hence, any prospective candidate with the certain level of expertise and hands on in this field comes under the radar of the desired employee. However, there are certain skills which are important and high-paying in the job market.
Top 5 of the highest paying digital marketing skills
SEO is the science of optimizing a particular website for a search engine. It deals with all the technicalities of a website like code, information architecture and much more.
SEO can also be termed as a form of art to make the website search engine friendly as it also deals with user searches.
However, with regular updates in the algorithms of search engines, SEO has become mandatory for every company’s website. Hence, website owners or different companies are looking for professionals who can tackle the latest search engine algorithms and get the top search rank. These professionals are termed as SEO experts, SEO professionals or SEO consultants.
The segment has emerged as a hotspot for a job opportunity and is in high demand. SEO has almost become a necessary skill for everybody right from a blogger to a web designer.
To gain hands-on experience, one should start SEO career with an entry-level job as SEO executive. With experience, one either move on to higher job profiles or study further in relevant subjects. An alternative SEO career path for a prospective candidate could be freelancing and consultancy. Some of the common job openings in SEO are that of SEO trainee, SEO Analyst, SEO Trainer, Link building expert, SEO project manager and much more.
PPC stands for pay-per-click which means one needs to be paid every time one of their ads are clicked. There is another form of ad rate which is called CPM. This stands for cost per impression.
As we can see around us, there are less and fewer advertisements in radio, newspaper, and even TV advertising and thus ad spending has decreased relatively. However, digital ad spending in areas like search and mobile advertising have increased steeply. Hence there are huge job opportunities in PPC. But following are certain mandatory traits for a prospective candidate.
- Adaptability: PPC is an ever changing field with a new update almost everyday. Hence one needs to be aware of every update happening in the industry.
- Calculative: Though one does not have to be math oriented completely, one needs a calculative approach for there are many metrics and analytics.
- Creative: Other than dealing with AdWords or its operations, writing an ad text creatively is also required.
- Excel: Excelling in Microsoft Excel is a plus as most of the paid search campaigns are built in excel.
3. Email marketing
As the name goes, email marketing is the act of sending commercial messages through an email. It usually involves sending an email for advertisements, request business, sales to prospective clients. Email marketing is not a single person job. In order to succeed in an email marketing campaign, an organization must have a team of professionals to execute it effectively. There are set of specialized skills required and we would discuss some of them below.
- Strategy: If the strategy is not in place, most of the campaigns would end up bringing poor results. The ad hoc campaigns might not work in it. A strategist could plan out the campaign and align it with other marketing strategies. He should create a strategy for both long term and ad hoc activities.
- Graphic design: Once the plan is in place, a graphic designer would be required to develop email templates that align with the strategy. Visually the design needs to be appealing and should fulfill the business goals.
- Copy writing: An expert writer is required to outline the concept in simple words. It cannot be done by anybody as it is a specialized job and requires past experience.
- Analytics: An email marketing manager should be an expert in data administration and analytics. As they say, “If you cannot measure something, you cannot improve it.”
- Management: A right person for the job should be aware of major online email delivery tools, CRM and top marketing automation tools.
4. Content Marketing
Content Marketing is a strategic marketing approach where-in creative and focused content is created to attract and retain customers. It is the latest fad as every company is looking for unique content to stay ahead in search results. And moreover, search algorithms have also changed their code in accordance with the content. Latest research shows that a unique content, the more effective search result.
Since the concept of content marketing is new(the youngest), there is a lot of confusion around it. Often people confuse it with PR. Yes, it helps in branding but it is not completely a PR activity. Let us have a look at some of the top areas which need to be covered in it.
Strategy: Before an article is created, a video is made, an ebook is developed, one needs to have a plan. A plan goes much deeper then one might think. The elements of the plan includes –
- What are the goes the company wants to achieve and how it will be measured?
- Who are the target audience?
- How the content is going to help the target user?
- How the voice of content different than millions of other content pieces around the web?
- Is the calendar in place?
- What is the approval process?
- Who is going to write the content – inhouse, freelancer or outsourced agency?
- If multiple people are developing content, how consistancy is assertained?
- Who is finalizing the concept?
- Is the profreading done by the developer or there is a seperate team for that?
Content Integration: Content development cannot be a standalone exercise. It should integrate with whatever is happening in a company. The content marketing efforts are going to benefit SEO, Sales, Social Media efforts etc. All the people working on these channels should have a say in the content marketing efforts.
It might be wrong to recruit one person for all 3 jobs. At least 2 people might be required for a small content marketing campaign.
5. Data Analytics
One of the important characteristics of a prospective digital marketing person should be data analytics. One is subjected to various kind of data with respect to finance behind ads, graphs indicating performance on social media platforms etc.
Moreover, most of the websites are linked to google analytics to extract different parameters with respect to its performance.
Hence, every prospective candidate requires hands-on with Google analytics. Additionally, general data analysis perspective is also required.